Saturday, January 23, 2010

Spikes

It's amazing how life is marked by the valleys and the peaks. Spikes- both good and negative. Today, for example, was marked by a spike. We had a FEMA training for Psychological First Aid. I can't say that I really learned anything. It was interesting at points. I met the person in charge of the evacuation plan in Houston during Hurricane Rita. Or should I say the "non-evacuation" plan. Eighteen hours from downtown to the Woodlands. It's amazing what the human body can do under stress. I'm not sure how I drove that much for that long of a period of time, but I did.

But speaking of the human body- my spike today happened after lunch. I wasn't hungry during lunch and was feeling shaky. Assuming that I was just apprehensive about our simulation I returned. I didn't feel great during the simulation, but again I was assuming I'd feel better afterward. No such luck.

We finished and I felt horrific. Freezing and a headache and I felt like my head was burning up. We went through the debriefing and in the break I had Stephanie feel my forehead. Needless to say, I ended up having to go home early. Fever-yes. Fever of 102.5. And there was the spike. It's scary to think that my fever came on almost instantly. Or what would have happened if I hadn't gone home and the fever increased?

And as soon as it came on, it was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment